Click to view larger image.

fence feast

Genre: Local-Multiplayer Party Game
Platform & Control: PC, Handheld Controller
Engine & Tools: Unreal Engine 4
Development Time: 2 weeks (Q3 2017)
Team Size: 4 Designers, 4 3D Artist
My Role(s): Level Designer, Scripter
Contribution: Level Design, Level Art, Environmental Scripting
Released on Itch.io!

This project was part of a 2 weeks course where design and 3D students teamed up to create a game which could fulfill the projects 2-4 player party game, physics-driven and mash-up of two sports. This game combines the old fashioned medieval jousting with competitive serving. Serving droids have one & ½ minute to serve the most tables and earn the highest “tips” while avoiding (or jousting) the other players. If a droid is jousted by another they drop the plate they are holding as well knocking them away and shortly dazing.

During this project I primarily focused on level design and level art. Wrote a blueprint for streamlining placement of props in the environment.

Apart from these contributions I was also involved in all design decisions regarding gameplay, features and how we could achieve our objectives. Through communication with the team helped tweaking parts of the levels and movement from valuable playtesting feedback. The game was also presented at FutureGames and received great feedback from a jury consisted of industry professionals from Starbreeze.


 

Game Feel

Mixing the fineness of delivering delicate plates of food with the raw force of jousting created an interesting gameplay moment. As well level layout, the players need to have open space to perform a joust (charging forward in a straight line) while still having the option to dodge out of the way or hide behind objects. To keep a intense gameplay the layout should force players into a confrontation at key points when they grab and/or deliver plates, but just frequent enough and with still space for players to navigate around and successfully complete delivers to various tables.

Level design

My goal with this level design was to create these open spaces, named combat areas (C.A), with a few requirements:

  • Space for possible jousting attacks and contain routes.

  • Open spaces to dodge.

  • Connected to routes for either:

    • Reach another C.A.

    • Safely hide behind or sneak around objects (pilars and tables) in the environment.

Level seen from zoomed out game perspective.

Circle represent the area players pick up plates. Numbered crosses represent C.As. Blue arrows represent the intended routes between C.A.

C.A:
1) This combat area is placed outside the counter where players can pickup plates to create an intense exchange moment and give player who managed to retrieve a plate and get out a feeling of success. While making them a target for the other players. I wanted this to become mixture of waiting for the next plate to spawn versus hunting other players who possesses a plate.
2) …
3) …

In this iteration we had only one are where players could pickup plates and during playtest we learned that this was not enough since generally players would not leave this area and picking plates became to chaotic due to its limited size. We tried with decrees the spawn time between plates and this worked to get players to spread out over the map. However we noticed that the level was to small for four players and the game became too combat heavy with players clashing everywhere and there now was no safe traversal routes for player with plates to chose.

 

Level seen from zoomed out game perspective.

Circle represent the area players pick up plates. Numbered crosses represent C.As. Blue arrows represent the intended routes between C.A.

….

 

Final level seen from zoomed out game perspective.

Circle represent the additionally added table.

Reflections


Decorative blueprint

This is as a constructor blueprint so I from the editor could see which model was placed and alter them on the go. It is built using an Enum name list containing all our objects, which here is given an model. So using a variable from the inspector window I could swap between models without having to find each from within the asset folder which then would have to be drag & drop into the level. And instead drag in this blueprint, duplicate it and so art the level.